Friday, August 12, 2011

The Rank and Station of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Part 2


That ‘Abdu’l-Bahá is not a Manifestation of God, that He gets His light, His inspiration and sustenance direct from the Fountain-head of the Bahá’í Revelation; that He reflects even as a clear and perfect Mirror the rays of Bahá’u’lláh’s glory, and does not inherently possess that indefinable yet all-pervading reality the exclusive possession of which is the hallmark of Prophethood; that His words are not equal in rank, though they possess an equal validity with the utterances of Bahá’u’lláh;...


My name is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. My qualification is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. My reality is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. My praise is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. Thraldom to the Blessed Perfection is my glorious and refulgent diadem, and servitude to all the human race my perpetual religion… No name, no title, no mention, no commendation have I, nor will ever have, except ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. This is my longing. This is my greatest yearning. This is my eternal life. This is my everlasting glory.”


                                          (Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Bahá’u’lláh)


Man has to control his ego and humble himself to serve humanity.  The Universal House of Justice have encouraged us to walk a path of service with a humble posture of learning.  One cannot be arrogant in serving the Cause of God.  This is a defect that man must fight each day if one wants to attain the good pleasure of His Lord.  ‘Abdu’l-Bahá sets the tone for all of us to forget oneself and to work for the reconstruction of the world.  He didn't take on any titles but wanted to be known for being the Servant of God.  We also have to be careful as we "scale the heights of service" not to serve so that we seek recognition from others which is so common in the corporate world.  We serve for the love of God.  Those who had pride during the life of the Manifestations of God as well as the Beloved Master were utterly destroyed spiritually.  



This is one of my favorite passages from ‘Abdu’l-Bahá:

In the religion of Bahá’u’lláh all are servants and maidservants, brothers and sisters. As soon as one feels a little better than, a little superior to, the rest, he is in a dangerous position, and unless he castsaway the seed of such an evil thought, he is not a fit instrument for the service of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment